7.29.2010

~ homemade: tea tags ~

Happy Thursday my dears!  I thought I would create my own homemade post today...especially for you!  Hopefully, they will all be my own homemade posts from here on out.  But don't worry...I figured my first homemade post should start out at the easy level!

I know everyone has heard of tea dyed before...usually when talking about fabric, but today I want to show you how to tea dye paper...tags to be exact!  So are you with me? Good, lets get started.  Most of the items needed for this project you probably already have, but here is a list just in case...

Tea (I used black)
Boiling water
Pot/bowl for steeping the tea
Pan with edges
White tags
Paper towels

Step-by-step instructions...
Homemade-Tea-Tags
Grab your tea and place 10-14 tea bags in a pot/bowl.     
Homemade-Tea-Tags
Add boiling water, and let tea steep for 5 or so minutes. Once steeped, you can pour the tea into the edged pan to cool more quickly. 
Homemade-Tea-Tags
Once the tea is cool, add your tags.  Depending on how dark you'd like your tags, leave them in for 5 to 30 minutes.  (I wanted dark tags so I left mine in for 30 minutes...flipping them halfway through just to make sure they all were covered.)
Homemade-Tea-Tags
When the time is up, take out the tags and lay on paper towels.  You can pat the tops of the tags with a paper towel to remove any excess wetness, and then leave to dry.  I left mine in the sun, and they dried very quickly.  (However, you can always put them in the oven on LOW, and keep your eye on them as to not start a fire or burn them.)   Once dried they are ready to use!  And as you can see in the bottom right picture the color change from an original tag compared to the tea dyed ones.

Stay tuned...coming up in the next post is some creative ways to use these tea tags...including a mini photo shoot!!!

~ Ciao

...photography by me

No comments:

Post a Comment